Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Just Leave It Alone

A few weeks ago my sister came over to my house to hang out for a while before she had to go cut someone's hair. We were talking, and she told me about how mad she was because the other day for training at work, every new person wouldn't stop telling her how cute and small she is, and how they didn't want to be her partner as they were afraid of hurting her. (She was training for her work to know how to get out of a persons grip) The funny thing is that my 5'1" sister who wears size 0 pants and has the voice of a mouse took tae kwon doe until she was a black belt, and is one of the toughest people I know. She hates when people underestimate her, which is exactly what those people were doing. She kept saying to me, "I just don't get it, I know I'm small but they kept telling me it as if I didn't know." This happens a lot.

This happens a lot with a lot of things though, not just short people. I was always the quiet kid in middle school, and of course I knew people thought it, but it was always a little aggravating when people would say, "You're so quiet and nice, you wouldn't hurt a fly!" You don't know me, you just said I'm quiet proving my point. I know that I'm quiet, and one person saying it is enough, everyone around doesn't have to join in telling me things I already know about myself.

Another one of these is when people tell others that they need to gain weight. "You're so skinny" can have the same effect as saying "You're so fat" to a person, and most people don't seem to realize that. You have no idea if they like or don't like these things about themselves, and you could have just pointed out something they hate most, even if you don't see it that way.

If someone looks or acts a certain way leaning toward the extreme, it is very obvious to them, and there have probably already been plenty of people to tell them that. Also, mirrors are pretty common, they've probably figured it out for themselves. (378)

No comments:

Post a Comment