Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Jobs Can Ruin You

Having a job can be great; you meet more people, have fun with customers and get money all along. Although it can be great, sometimes there are times when you curse your job for what its done to you.

I work at Hy-Vee in the Bakery, and I used to love cookies and muffins just as much as the next person, but the smell can get really old really fast. When you have to wake up early after a late night to go to work, you're already not going to be feeling very well, and the last thing you want filling you nostrils is the smell of something sweet and fattening. The smell of dough and fruit mixing, the smell of the garlic bread just out of the oven, the smell of frosting as it is being carefully slathered onto a cake. When you first start, these smells are amazing, but after a while, they just become nauseating. After a few times of eating a broken cookie and it making you feel a little sick, you start to lose your love for cookies and muffins, and after making party mix causing me to smell like Worcestershire sauce all night, I definitely have lost my love for that too.

Before the bakery, I was a checker. This changes your views on a lot of items people come through and buy. Sometimes it makes you like them more; the smell of a rotisserie chicken 15 minutes before you're break when you're starving causes you to just love the smell. Other times though, it just loses its value. Now when I see a banana, I think 4011, because that's the number I push in when weighing the bananas people buy. This happens with a lot of produce. Another thing is when I'm at a Hy-Vee, even when I'm not working, I cant help but fix something on a shelf or push a cart to an area if it bugs me enough. It's also made it so I've asked strangers how they were a few times, then realized that was probably really creepy considering I'm in regular pedestrian clothes, and not my Hy-Vee clothes.

I'm sure things like this happen with any job people get. Instead of just sitting there, you start to notice things and help the workers wherever you are, just because you know how they feel. It can be a good thing, but sometimes it can get really annoying. (408)

No comments:

Post a Comment