Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Family Name Songs

When I was much younger, maybe 6 or 7 years old, my grandpa made me a CD that became my favorite thing to listen to. For years I would beg to play this CD whenever we went on car rides because it always just made me so happy. All of the songs on it contain a first name of someone in my family.

After I got older and the normal thing of having a CD player in almost every room became something of the past, the CD stayed in a container in my room along with a bunch of other old CD's I haven't listened to for years.

Today though, with the help of my new laptop, I listened to it again, and have gotten through all of it a few times. It brings back so many memories of my childhood and I found myself smiling after the beginning of each song, and remembering how whenever I used to see my uncle Jack I'd sing the song from this CD to him, and realizing that I still sing Sherrybaby to my mom sometimes, making her laugh every time. All of the songs are very old, many of them unknown to most of my friends, but they started my love for old music that still stays with me.

The songs on the CD include:
Good Golly Miss Molly (for my sister)
Little Diane (for my great aunt)
Sherrybaby (for my mom)
Hey Paula (for my aunt)
Willie and the Hand Jive (for my cousin)
Message to Michael (for my grandpa himself, or my uncle who has the same name)
Poor Jenny (a 2nd cousin)
Don't Let's Talk About Lisa (for my aunt, Will's mom)
Proud Mary (one of my grandpa's sisters)
Wake Up Little Susie (another 2nd cousin)
Work With Me Annie (my cousin, Will's sister)
Bobby's Girl (a 2nd cousin)
Big Bad John (my cousin, Will's brother)
Sleepy Eyed John (John's a common name)
Daniel (great uncle)
Tom Dooley (my dad)
Tracy (another 2nd cousin)
Hats Off to Larry (grandma's brother, Bob's dad)
Hit the Road Jack (my uncle, Will's dad)
Gretchen (my grandma)
Michael Row the Boat Ashore (another common name)
Hey Mickey (Michael again? I don't know this one)
Be Bop Grandma (no names, but describes my grandma so well because she loves rock music)
I'm My Own Grandpaw (no names, but used to make me laugh so hard...still does)
Run Joey Run (another 2nd cousin) (408)



No comments:

Post a Comment