Monday, September 24, 2012

Productive Procrastination

                Procrastination is a horrible habit that almost everyone has had at least once. One thing that I’m sure most people can relate to is homework related procrastination. When you’ve just got finished with about six hours of school, in most cases, the last thing you want to do is more school work. I know when I get done with school I would much rather spend my time with my friends or maybe even just relaxing and eating fruit.
            This feeling of wanting to procrastinate is usually what gives us motivation for other things you wouldn’t normally want to do. Things like cleaning, people watching, taking your dog on a walk, counting all the coins in your purse, brushing your teeth, practicing your cartwheeling skills, and even observing the abstract bumps on a nearby wall or carpet can become much more interesting than what you should be doing at that moment. Giving into these random and inconsequential urges will just lead you to more random and inconsequential urges. Even if you end up finishing cleaning your room, or finally perfect your cartwheels, it might not be worth it when you realize you don’t have time to do what you were supposed to be doing.
            If I were to give advice on this, I would say that if you must procrastinate on one thing find something that can later benefit you that you are in the mood to do. For example, I have a project in my history class due on Friday. We received the requirements for this assignment on the first day of school, and were given five weeks to do it. Although this is true, all I’ve gotten done is written down ideas for about sixteen of about twenty requirements. I regret not getting it done, and I know I will regret not doing it now later, but at least I am being productive. I am writing this blog post, even though I have a week to do it. But right now I am in the mood to write, and now I won’t have to worry about doing it later.
            The best way to procrastinate on something is to find something else productive to do instead. It is never good to ignore all of the things you should be doing, because then there is the potential of becoming very behind and wishing you had started it at an earlier time. (400)

No comments:

Post a Comment