Sunday, September 9, 2012

Music

Music is one of the most important things in the world. Everyone listens to music, and everyone has their own opinion of what ‘good music’ is. There are so many different varieties, too; Pop, Rap, Country, R&B, and more. Some people stick to their genre, while some enjoy listening to many different types of music, music that suits them.
Not very many people like country music. In fact, a lot of people hate it. The radio in my car is usually set to country music, and on the days I take two classmates home from school, the one that sits in the passenger seat changes it from country to pop. I don’t mind as I like both, but there is something about country music that I cannot get enough of. My dad is one of those people that don’t like country music at all. All he hears when he listens to it is a “hick singing about his dog and his truck and a girl.” Although with some songs that statement is very true, I always seem to find a little more. Country music calms me.
Whenever I am trying to sleep or reduce my over thinking or simply relax, music is what I go to. I can spend hours just laying down listening to the lyrics of song after song, dissecting them, relating to them, and painting a picture in my head of what my own interpretation of the song is. Music can influence you; if you allow it, it can change your mood completely. Sad songs will make you sad and lazy. Happy songs can make you want to dance. Romantic songs can make you want to be with your loved one.              
Then there are the songs that influence your mood because of the memory with which you attach the song. There may be a song that reminds you of a great time you had with your friends or family, and will cause you to smile and want to go back to that time, even for just the duration of that song. There may be songs that you relate to something sad happening, which can leave you breathless and teary-eyed. Either way, it affects you. Music is so powerful when you let it be, and I hope that people see the beauty of it. (378)

No comments:

Post a Comment