Monday, September 3, 2012

My Job

When I turned 16, I started my job search. I decided to go the same path as my older sister, and I now work at a grocery store. My job can be fickle; there are days when I have nothing but fun, not only with my coworkers but with the customers that come through my line. But then there are days when I dread going to work all day and while I am there I want nothing more than to go home. This just depends on my mood and the mood of the people who are around me.

            On the days that are bad, they are bad for many reasons. For one, my coworkers can be grumpy. Another reason is that I am so clumsy sometimes, and I just have days where I seem to drop everything; from quarters to even groceries. Also, customers can be incredibly rude. Some come through talking on their phones, and just completely ignore you. Some come through already mad at some sort of indecent event that occurred in the store, and so they automatically will make faces and have a snotty tone of voice towards you. Then there are the customers that will blame you for anything that goes wrong, including a coupon that just won’t work the way that they want it to. Although these are bad, they aren’t even the worst. Some customers will get angry enough to even yell at you for simply trying to help.
            Although some days can be just awful, there can be days that I honestly enjoy working. My coworkers can sometimes be the highlight of my day; joking around with each other, playing rock paper scissors for who has to clean the break room, or even playing eye spy when it gets really slow and the managers aren’t around. Customers aren’t always so bad either; I love having a good conversation with them about anything and everything that may pop up. I also enjoy the optimism some people have when I ask them if they are having a good day, and they respond with “I’m having a good every day!”
            Some people may find it crazy because working can be stressful and takes away a lot of time from other things I could be doing, but overall, I enjoy having a job. Not only do I receive money, but also a lot of good stories I wouldn’t otherwise have. (403)

No comments:

Post a Comment