Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Pets


Growing up, I have personally had a lot of different adventures with pets. I love animals, and so I would always beg my parents for a pet during the small time increments between my pets. First, when I was really young, we had a pet bunny named Sniffles. Sniffles was a different kind of bunny; when you let him out, he would run around the house crazily, leaving his black and white hair all over. That isn’t even the bad part though… I swear almost every time he jumped, he would have some sort of accident on our carpet that my mom would have to clean up. Sniffles didn’t last long in our house, as I was too young to clean up after him, my parents weren’t going to do it, and my sister didn’t have the guts to, so we had to get rid of Sniffles the bunny.

                After Sniffles, we got a yellow lab named Raja, like from Aladdin. She was such an adorable and friendly dog. She didn’t know how big she was though; always knocking over my little brother and the small kids my mom babysat. Then my brother started to get horrible allergic reactions to her fur, so we had to get rid of Raja too.

            One year for our birthdays, my uncle gave me and my sister both hermit crabs. I never actually came up with a name for my crab; the name changed almost daily, but I loved playing with it. Both our hermit crabs had horrible luck though. My sister’s got squished whilst trying to switch shells. Mine got dropped by one of my friends at the time. It was quite tragic.
            After that I had a hamster, and the hamster never really had a set name either. I think I called her Daisy most of the duration of her short life. Daisy was a dwarf hamster who lived in a cage with bars far enough apart that she could escape and go on adventures. There were many times when I would go to school so worried because she wasn’t in her cage that morning, and then we would eventually find her somewhere wandering in the house and have to put her back in her cage. I enjoyed having her around, until one day I had a friend over and she asked to play with my hamster, I said sure, just poke her to wake her up. This time though, Daisy didn’t wake up.
            Once in the summer my sister, brother and I got really bored and decided to go to Petco, and while there, we fell in love with mice. After a long time of convincing, our parents let us buy them as long as we kept them in a cage in my room. I named mine Hercules, and I was so excited to have him. The mice only lasted about a week though, as my brothers had been apparently sick. My brother’s mouse died and the other two caught his sickness through cannibalism. Gross, I know, but they’re mice. Soon after that Hercules and Oreo died.
            I’ve also had a variety of fish; one because when I was out one night with friends, one of them decided it would be fun to surprise-buy me a fish. I put the fish in a bowl and we named him Olly. Then we got the bright idea to put a toy Patrick in the bowl along with a rock. A big rock. A rock that we didn’t clean well enough. That fish lasted for only a few days.
            As you now know, I never have a lot of luck with pets, except for my current dog, Brodie. He is seven years old and although sometimes sick and usually a little aggressive, he is still quite lovable. He is a very interesting dog; he is very lazy, but never too lazy to run throughout the entire house whenever the mailman comes by. He loves bread and to be pet, but only on his time. He loves to lie out in the sun, and his random barking while I stand by him never fails to scare me. Animals are one of my favorite things in life, and so I plan to have a lot of pets when I am older, pets that I would make sure to actually properly take care of. (727)

No comments:

Post a Comment