Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kids

Kids are adorable. They really are. They are so smart and funny when you have real conversations with them, and they try to have good intentions. They also voice their opinions openly. Just today I had a 7 year old cousin tell me that my room is disgusting because of its pink-and-purple-ness. After he said that, I agreed and told him that soon I was going to paint it, probably a green color. His smile got huge when I said green. He then told me that he thinks I should paint my ceiling red, because it would look really cool. I couldn't help but laugh.

I have always been surrounded by kids. Growing up, my mom ran a daycare business out of our house, and soon after she quit is when I grew old enough for her adult friends to ask me to help take care of their kids when they weren't home. I loved it.

At work, I see kids come through all the time. Some ask for suckers, but I have to watch their face contort into disappointment when I tell them sorry, but our Hy-Vee doesn't have suckers. Some are sweet, and try to help their parents by putting the groceries in the cart onto the belt, standing on their toes to do so. Some ask for a candy bar, and yell when they don't get one. Some say "Of course mom" when she tells them that they can have a candy bar, but they have to wait until after dinner to eat it.

I once babysat a kid that was obsessed with dinosaurs. I asked him to tell me about some of them, and he started showing me pictures of them and telling me about them with a look of concentration on his face. I actually learned a lot about dinosaurs that night.

Some people don't give kids much of a chance. They find them gross or annoying or dumb. I personally know people who wanted to adopt kids, went through the whole process to get a license, but now don't keep the foster kids for very long, because they just find them to be too much. I find those people to be a bit ridiculous. I understand some people can't get along with kids well, or are even intimidated by them. Some people though, just don't even give them enough of their attention to even see what the kid wants them to. (410)

1 comment:

  1. you should definetly have kids (when you are older of course) because you see the greatness and potential that they have. Love this blog, its so cute!

    ReplyDelete